Last week I was facing a bit of a Visual Studio bug which was proving really hard to fix. Out of the blue some(!) projects just started throwing out this build error for no apparent reason:
Error 1 The "GenerateResource" task failed unexpectedly. System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'FileTracker.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
The fixes and workarounds that I managed to dig up were no good. Manually running CSC.exe seemed to compile, but then I had no way to generate the setup files. Modifying the
Microsoft.Common.targets file at the .Net Framework installation folder also failed to correct the issue. Finally I managed to find a working fix. All that has to be done is to open the *.csproj of the project that is failing to build and add this little snippet before the
</Project> closing tag (or if it’s already there but set to ‘true’… set it to ‘false’).
With this I was finally able to get some work done.